Thursday, June 21, 2007

Architecture in Helsinki make me dance my pants off, The Blow break up


Tuesday night Jamora and I headed to the Henry Fonda to witness YACHT's irresistible beats, hottie Jew-esque hair/face, and superb dance moves. Unfortunately, we totally missed him! So, see below for reviews of the 4 bands who played.

1. Ariel Pink fucking suck. I'm sorry to use such strong words, but they really did. I won't even comment on the lead singer's inability to command an audience/not look like a 1990s drug addled, barrett-wearing, hunched loser.

2. Gang Gang Dance. Had I been thizzing or superstoneybalogna, this show would have blown my mind. Unfortunately, I was drunk, and I just wanted to dance in my 1/2 size too small thrift store heels and I was bummed on missing YACHT. Jamora, along with a bunch of really super weird would-be ravers, loved the group, but I felt a little disconnected with the hippie girl singing like an Indian pop star to synthy beats and a song/light duo that was epic as fuck.

3. YACHT!!!! Here's where I critisize KCRW for (1) starting a show ontime (we were only 30 min late!) and (2) putting the best performer first. DUMB. Not to mention that YACHT's music would be a much better accompaniment to Architecture than would a shitty mcshittster band and a trippy hippie synth group. And although KCRW does provide the best programming this side of the GG Bridge, I really hate you right now. Hopefully the stars will align and Yacht will dance for me only at the next gig I see him at. Cause lord knows I'm catching that fellow again.

4. Architecture in Helsinki!!! put on an awesome show. They totally made up for me missing Yacht. They knew how to party, they knew how to make us dance, and they knew how to make it impossible for Jam Jam and I to leave despite my incredibly pained feet and her super sleepy aware of the drive-to-come mind. I'd also like to note that they were not bitches about their hot hits. They didn't wait for the very end in order to keep you from running off. Instead, they relied on a perfectly put together set list to keep you dancing from foot to foot (which also kept your feet from being too pained). I officially love Australians. The only female, Kellie, was fucking adorable and is also known as my hero from now on. She had super cute dance moves and she smiled like a million times everytime she saw the audience dancing like cray cray crayfish.

Now, here is a video of what we all missed out on: YACHT's super energetic dancing. Also, some YACHT news below



So, if you didn't read the title, The Blow have broken up. Don't cry too much even though I can assure you I did. Some may disagree, but I believe that the Blow blew up (hah!) with the help of Yacht. I don't know how much I can look forward to Kheala's music without her counterpart. Although I'm sure Jona won't be able to resist remixing her shizzle. Maybe he just wanted freedom, maybe she got too needy. Whatever the case, I will miss this duo. You were sweet.
And for old-time's sake, look at how cute they were together. They're the epitome of the nerdy best friend duo. Oh no. Tears.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Magic the gathering is nothing like that. Very far fetched.

Anonymous said...

I liked this post.

especially when you said "cray cray crayfish".