Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Here in my loft I feel safest of all


From 90s jams to relaxing fantasy world. Another Caitlin-craze I never reported on is Taken By Trees, the new project coming from Victoria Bergsman (who sings for The Concretes as well as on Peter Bjorn & John's "Young Folks", both of which I wrote about here). Recently, Tough Alliance remixed her song "Too Young" to create something that sounds like Victoria Bergsman singing to a Panda Bear single. In other words, amazing, striking, beautiful. Another stand-out track is called "Open Field". Mostly ignored by the casual listener, Open Field is best when described fairly elaborately.

Do yourself a favor and download "Open Field", listed below. Next, read my description of what's going on in the song. Afterwards, try to out-description me and/or tell me I'm wrong.

It sounds like a mystical land. The main enemy (dragon, storm, evil wizard, etc) has just been defeated, and the peasants are walking out of their tiny huts to look around at their suddenly sunny, blossoming land which is covered in wild flowers and dew drops and populated by singing birds and fluttering butterflies. A sense of wonder encompasses everything. Neighbors say hello, including Mr. Toad and Mrs. Rabbit. Hello all! Strom has cleared, welcome to spring time!

Don't believe me? Take a listen to "Open Field" and see for yourself. Her other songs are also highly recommended accompaniments to afternoon naps.

(**all files via Z-share)
>> Taken Too Young remixed by Tough Alliance
>> Open Field by Taken by Trees
>> Julia by Taken by Trees
>> Too Young by Taken by Trees (original)

Taken by Trees space // site // shop

No comments: