Tuesday, May 1, 2007

All I want is to be your housewife


In other words, CocoRosie was amazing. I'm awed by their ability to perform the most bizarre hip-hop infused freak-folk with so much soul. Sister Bianca spits out beautifully rhythmed verses with an emotional intensity and sensitivity which is so hard to find in hiphop while Sierra bellows out the most serene opera-like siren-made music. Behind them were projected images of a bizarre mix of provoking images from exorcisms to My Little Ponies to scenes from White Girls and burning buildings. I heard many people after the show utter out how incredibly disturbed or frightened they were by the images because they were so intense. Occasionally, they provoked a few giggles because they were straight up strange but they more importantly worked to enhance the bizarre yet beautiful and profound music of CocoRosie. I have only one complaint from the show: the lack of building energy. Following each fun song would be another touching song, and it was back and forth like this with no real energy-building line up of, say, By Your Side to Rainbowarriors to Japan. Other than that it was simply amazing. Their renditions of such songs as Kevin Lyttle's "Turn Me On" exhibited the same "do I laugh or not" reaction. I mean, it's a funny cover, but jeebus do they do it with such conviction! "Japan" was so much fun that I wanted everyone to hold hands just like they told us to and "Terrible Angels" was so beautiful that it made me cry. Right there in the audience. I'm not one of those people, mind you, who likes to cry in public, but the song drew me so far in and the images behind them were so saturated with emotion that I could not help but be that moved. It looks like for the rest of the week I'll be avoiding my playlists full of new stuff and continue to listen to The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn on repeat. It's beautiful and amazing and I'm in love with these two girls who know how to contrast beauty with funky, frightening with touching, and silliness with the greatest spritiual maturity and insight I've seen in ages.

Let me do my best not to post the whole album, since the whole album is incredible:
>> Werewolf
>> Rainbowarriors
>> Animals
>> Japan
>> Terrible Angels

Oh, and PS why didn't they play Butterscotch? They should've known it's one of my favorites.

Werewolf:


Turn Me On:


********************************************
And this is totally unrelated, but I kind of really like Frida Hyvonen again:

1 comment:

dean said...

I called cocorosie.