Thursday, February 28, 2008

Newest Obsession: Cassettes Won't Listen remixes


In this blog trodden world, remixes are a dime a dozen. You can only listen to so many electronic dance tracks before your mind gets trapped in a prison of incessant beats that cause all these "I have a music program too!" tracks to merge into eachother and become a heap of entirely uninteresting material. I know, it's confusing and unsatisfying to say the least. Which is why my new favorite remixes tend to be remixes to originally mellow, pretty, often sorrowful songs. Add a stellar beat and you've got yourself something completely original, something that bands like Her Space Holiday managed to create minus the middle man remixer. A good (scratch that, excellent) example is the Tough Alliance remix of Taken By Trees' "Taken Too Young".

And now, rescuing me from my disillusionment with new indie music, comes Cassettes Won't Listen, who, besides having excellent original work, creates some of my favorite remixes to date out of a broad range of songs that I originally liked quite a bit, but never as much as I do now. My favorite by far is the remix of Midlake's "Young Bride". Simply delectable.


Scoop it Up.

>> Midlake - Young Brides (CWL remix)
>> Pela - Lonesome Hearts (CWL remix)
>> Cassettes Won't Listen - Paper Float
>> Asobi Seksu - Strawberries (CWL remix)

(also, visit Cassettes Won't Listen's myspace to check out tons more songs.)

No comments: