Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I love you when you're happy, I love you when you're sad




Hold on to your heartstrings. This is The Shocking Pinks. The brainchild of ex-Brunettes drummer Nick Harte & one of the most promising new-comers to the DFA collective. Maybe even the best New Zealand import since the sweet potato. And YES there name is taken from the John Hughes classic Pretty In Pink. If that disways you [which it shouldn't!], or the fact that the name may yield some pretty unwanted search results, let me assure you all that his self-titled debut is chalk full of tasteful genre-bending sweetness: the sulking guitar layers of a shoegazer epic, the naked honesty of a lo-fi love song, oh & there's real drums? Way to finally champion the "non-electronic" DFA!

(for lack of any other way to describe it)
Tragedy never sounded so good.. :
>> Shocking Pinks - s/t [stream]
>> Shocking Pinks : Singles + Remixes [stream]

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

oh unwanted search results! I once searched for giant beaver because somehow I didn't realize there wouldn't be photographs from 3mya. I also didn't realize the conotation of "beaver"

Caitlin said...

ps I really like this music